In 1896, the East Carroll Baptist Association was organized in Lake Providence, LA. Two years later, the Association started a school called the East Carroll Normal and Industrial Institute. According to ” History of Louisiana Negro Baptists from 1804-1914. by William Hicks, page 209, the school was founded by Bishop J. E. Brunswick and was comprised of three buildings at the time this book was written. The principal was Professor Emmett Louis Washburn, B. A.
There were three other Associations in the neighboring parishes–Madison Association, Tensas Association, and Concordia Association. Together they formed the North Louisiana Baptist Association which was also known as the 9th District Baptist Association. They raised about $4000 for the purpose of building a school. After working together for awhile, they had a great split and a lawsuit. The money they had on hand was divided between the four parishes. In 1908, with the $800 that was their share of funds after the split, the East Carroll Baptist Association purchased 60 acres of land south of Lake Providence. The Association was chartered and the members built a building that housed their meeting space and their school that went through the ninth grade.